Quick and Easy Cheese-Free Pesto With Just 5 Simple Ingredients

Monday, February 22, 2016

basil, pesto, healthy, easy, recipe, dairy, free
Anyone who knows me, knows I love to cook healthy food at home and I very rarely eat out. What I love most about cooking at home is knowing exactly what ingredients are in my food so I know that its not full of garbage and chemicals.

So today I'm doing something a little different, something many of you have asked for, and sharing some of my"recipes" on the blog. I say "recipes" because Im kind of an organic cook who just rolls with whatever ingredients I have around. usually I never make the same dish exactly the same way twice. Today's is one that I always keep the same though.

Today's Recipe is only 5 ingredients and it's one of the staples in my fridge at all times! I make this cheeseless pesto in bulk since I don't eat dairy and it goes great on steak, salads or whatever else I please as the week rolls on. It keeps for weeks when refrigerated which is a major bonus!

basil, pesto, healthy, easy, recipe, dairy, free
What you'll need
2 bunches of of fresh basil leaves
1 tablespoon pine nuts
1tablespoon balsamic vinegar (I use this one and swear by it. I order it by the case!)
1/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil
a few pinches of sea salt

basil, pesto, healthy, easy, recipe, dairy, free
Throw all the ingredients into a food processor and chop for about 20 seconds.
Scoop out and enjoy!
Simple, right?

basil, pesto, healthy, easy, recipe, dairy, free

The balsamic adds a bit of sweetness that most pestos don't have. If you prefer a more herby taste, maybe leave out the balsamic.

Tell me what you guys think? Want to know more of my recipes? Let me know. 



3 comments:

  1. Yum yum yum!! I could eat pesto on anything :) And I agree, if you aren't putting cheese in, balsamic adds a really nice flavor that rounds out the pesto. SO GOOD!
    xoxo,
    Lauren | http://www.lakeshorelady.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have no idea... I don't like cheese (except mozzarella, but that's another story), and I can never have pesto because it has Parmesan in it. So this is a life saver! Now if only I could get it like this at restaurants/friend's houses...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachel, first off thank you so much for the kind words. Putting recipes out there is a whole new ball game for me so I didn't know if anyone would care! I'm so glad that you like it! And if you are not a cheese eater like me, you are going to live the recipes I have coming up! Ps. Maybe keep some pesto in your purse? ;)

    ReplyDelete